Thursday, January 3, 2008

Thoughts from Susan- Cleaning

It completely amazes me how God speaks to us through just about anything. For me during break, it was cleaning bathrooms. I’ve been trying to earn some extra money during break by detail cleaning bathrooms at the Lockheed Martin plant in Texas. At first I thought it was the most disgusting thing in the world and was way too good to be cleaning bathrooms. Somewhere along the line I actually started to enjoy it. I started to take pride in my work and the fact that I could transform a gross grimy bathroom into a sparkling one.

A few nights ago, as I was furiously scrubbing a particularly dirty sink, I had a rather odd thought. “God likes cleaning too!” It sounded pretty silly in my head because God certainly doesn’t clean bathrooms! Then after I thought about it, I realized it didn’t mean bathrooms; God loves to take his hurting children and clean up the mess in their lives.

Here's the thing; for the past year I haven’t trusted him enough to really come into my heart and clear it of the past. Sure, I let him come in every once in a while and take care of a few things, but parts of my heart kept clinging to the past no matter how much it was hurting me.

As many of the D.I.s could tell you, I’ve become a completely different person since coming to Colorado. I’m goofy, silly sassy Susan, and I like her way more than quiet, sad moody Susan. That’s the version of me that desperately clings to the past and refuses to let go when God is just trying to take all of it away. I don’t want that anymore, I don’t want to mull over what I’ve done and what I should have done to fix it. I’m tired of letting the enemy use the memories I’ve kept to make me so ashamed of everything. I’ve finally let go, let God come in and let Him take care of my mess. I only wish more people that live life clinging to their past could let God’s peace and joy reign over their hearts. Life’s a lot more pleasant like that.

No comments: