Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thoughts from Alleli- Growth

I'm surprised the DIs haven't told me to shut up yet. I talk about "my girls" a lot...almost obsessively. Why? Because they're my girls.


One night, almost two years ago, I was driving with one of my girls, Lauren. We were talking about all the transition and change our church was going through. We had a new lead and youth pastor which brought a lot of change. Now, I don't necessarily do well with a lot of change. I was used to the way things were being done. I liked how things were being done; there was nothing wrong with it.

I told Lauren how I felt about all the transition and how I missed how things used to be done. She then said to me, "If you're not changing, you're not growing." That's a lot of conviction from somebody who's four years younger than me. Mind you, she was 14 at the time.

I'm 20 years old; change is inevitable. My parents are graciously taking care of my insurance payments as well as my cell phone bill. But sooner or later, I'm not going to be living in the comfort of my parents' financial umbrella. That's just one example of change I'll be going through shortly. I better grow and learn how to take care of my own financial needs.

So it got me thinking, if we're comfortable, typically we're complacent, we're apathetic, we're wasteful. It's not that we're losing ground, but we're not gaining any. There is nothing inherently wrong with being comfortable, but there needs to be a concious decision to gain ground and at least toe the line of something different.

No comments: