Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Thoughts from Kelly-Radicals

Who are the radicals?? I can't count how many times I've been called a 'radical Christian' since starting this internship. When I think about it, I could've done anything, gone anywhere. I had close to perfect grades and was a multi-sport athlete. I had the whole world in my hands, yet I took a year off school, left behind everything I was accustomed to and comfortable with and began a journey I wouldn't have even been able to dream of. I intentionally left behind the world of my past and started towards something much bigger than myself: a quest towards God.


While talking to an old pastor of mine, I was charged with a question. In the conversation I had made mention of radical Christianity several times before he finally asked me, "Kelly, what exactly is a radical?" It stopped me in my tracks!! Here I was, proclaiming myself to be something I didn't even know the definition of. My pastor could tell I wasn't at all expecting the question and laughed a little, before expanding on his wisdom.


A radical is someone defined as extreme, so what then is extreme Christianity and where exactly is it modeled? A radical Christian is one who is sold out; one who is abandoned to a cause greater than himself. A radical is one who surrenders their all, for the all of their King. The conversation stirred something inside of me. How many times have I surrendered again and again before the cross, yet moments later try to control all that's occurring around me?


So I've made a conscious decision: I'm only picking up my cross, nothing of this world, none of my own desires, worries, or pain. Only the cross and with my cross I will strive to abandonment. I WANT TO BE SOLD OUT!! Anyone with me??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Daniel VW on Erin Whaley's account; Kelly this is awesome! I felt "strangely warm [Wesley]" when I read this. It was as if massive weight had been lifted when you talked about your sole burden of the cross. You've simplified and purified radicalism to me, I am so grateful. And however you are seeking Jesus, keep it up. I love to see how he's shaping your character and transforming you through your pure pursuit of him alone.