Monday, December 10, 2007

Thoughts from Cassie

It's monday morning, and many of the DI's are still reeling from yesterday's events. After the shootings occured, many of us were sad, angry, or simply numb. We were so blessed because every DI had left the church only minutes before the shooting happened. It was very emotional for me personally because my sister was in the main building when the shooting took place and was ushered into lock down with the rest of the crowd that had been milling about in the lobby after second service. My immediate reaction was fear for her, then sadness for those that I knew would be deeply affected by these events.

Then a new emotion arose...anger. I remeber my thought being, "How dare anyone come into my church where my sister was and try to harm these wonderful people!" Of course my feelings of rage have cooled since yesterday, but one sentiment has remained--

I refuse to victimize myself.

Instead, I will rise up. I will offer God's peace and love to those that feel the sting of this attack. I will pray for the families who have been affected. We have all been affected, but I choose to not be defeated. Not only do I pray for it, but I know that we will emerge stronger than before. It has been said that "The blood of the martyrs fuels the flame of revival" and I firmly believe it.

I encourage all to pray for the families and friends of those affected and for those who first hand experienced the trauma. Pray for strength for all of us to deal with the days and weeks to come. Finally, pray for a revival, a new kind of passion and zeal to be birthed out of this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear all the DI's are safe. My prayers are pouring out for you guys. New Life's ministry has revolutionized my prayer life. Your student ministries have taught me just how much prayer matters. The part of the Desperation Vow that calls for fervent prayer, well, that's all going toward you and your church family right now.

I went to the Desperation conference in Alabama and I was very impressed with the strong, united front presented by the staff and students. After last November's events, the church seemed even stronger and more passionate than ever. I think we all know that God is using this, and I am confident that you guys will offer yourselves to be molded by this experience.

We're praying like crazy here in Warren, Michigan. Keep your heads up.