Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Thoughts from Alleli

Hey everybody!

So my two cents for the day would have to be about worship music. Many of the other interns will tell you I'm all about this. My accountibility group is probably sick of me talking about this. But I will tell you right now, I will never tire from this since I feel so convicted.

A friend of mine at college once said to me, "Emotion should be a byproduct of the way you worship." BAM, conviction in my heart. So many times I've put my emotions first. I stick my hands up in the air during the bridge of a song because it's the most climatic part. You know what I'm talking about, right?

Since I've been in Colorado Springs, I've made it a point to have my heart in the right place when I sing in worship. Sometimes, I'll stop singing...stop moving...stop everything. I focus on what the words are up on the screen. I shut my eyes and concentrate hard on what I'm singing. Am I singing to be singing, or am I singing because I love my God and I can't help but sing?

Don't get me wrong. Music is my passion. I love the complicated fills a drummer can do. I love the double and triple strums of an accomplished guitarist. I love the two and three part harmonies. I genuinely love every aspect of music; I love belting out the harmionies. I love raising my hands up to my Jesus. I love falling on my face and crying out to God.

By no means should emotion be elliminated from the way we worship...but by no means is it the focus.

1 comment:

Irene said...

Alleli, this is hot. I love it becaus I think it's so easy, especially around an enviroment when the worship is always great and the lights are cool, to fall into the groove of "doing worship." But really worship isn't something you do, it's something that has to be a conviction out of your heart as something you WILL do no matter the emotion, the circumstance, or the song.