Monday, April 14, 2008

Thoughts from Alleli- Forgiveness

Luke 5:5-8 -- " Master," Simon replied," we worked hard all last night and didn't catch a thing. But if you say so, I'll let the nets down again." And this time their nets were so full of fish they began to tear! A shout for help brought their partners in the other boat, and soon both boats were filled with fish and on the verge of sinking.
When Simon Peter realized what had happened, he fell to his knees before Jesus and said, "Oh, Lord, please leave me -- I'm too much of a sinner to be around you."


Jesus had healed the sick, raised people from the dead, and casted demons out of those possessed. Yet he also cared about the struggles of daily living. He filled boats with fish after a bad day of fishing. He paid attention to the children when everybody else ignored them. He cried with friends mourning the death of family members.

So why would He not care about you? He knows you better than you know yourself. I have had many friends say to me, "Oh God could never love me. He doesn't want me. I've done too many bad things..."

What a load of CRAP. Take a look at the many stories in the Gospels:

One of Jesus' disciples, Matthew (or Levi), was a tax collector. Tax collectors were generally considered dishonest men in the community since they took more than what the government required and keeping excess for their own personal piggy bank.

Jesus spoke to a Samaritan woman at the well. The Samaritans were a despised group of people by the Jewish community for the immorality of their ancestors. He also went as far as to offer "living water" and speak of her private life and still forgive her of her sins.


There was a woman in Luke 7 who annointed Jesus' feet with perfume. She knew her many sins were forgiven and couldn't help but praise Jesus by anointing him with fragrances and washing his feet with her tears.

Ummm....I could keep going, but my point is Jesus isn't looking to bash us over our heads with our sins. Jesus has grace and we need to accept that grace. Granted, we can't just go around doing things we know aren't healthy or legal and just figure God will forgive us. That defeats the purpose. You know, every time I read the Gospels, I get a new revelation and insight on just to how much God has really forgiven me. It astounds me every time I think about it and it also makes me realize just how much I really need Jesus to have control over my life.

It says in Luke, "Healthy people don't need a doctor-- sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent." I plan on taking that to heart. I'm sick, I need Jesus. I accept the gift of grace and forgiveness He offers. I encourage you to do the same.

1 comment:

Irene said...

love it. especially the crap part :).