Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Thoughts from Whitney- Africa

Africa was a phenomenal experience, and Im so thankful that I had the oppertunity to go! Gods hand was moving throughout the whole two weeks we were there, and not just in the children/people living in the village of Salajwe, but also in the leaders that helped us. Living in America, the wealthiest country in the world, we dont really see a lot of true poverty. Going to Africa you see it everywhere you look, and you would think the people who are having to live in such horrible conditions would not have any joy or enjoy life at all. Surprisingly it is the exact opposite.
I have never met people my whole life who have joy like these people possess. Every time we would walk by them they all (inluding the old people and all the children) would wave and say "Dumela" (meaning "hello") with the biggest smiles on their faces. It was a life changing experience. I was finding myself thinking about my own life here in the States and how terribly ungreatful I am and have been. It brought me to tears when I began to think of all my belongings and how I really dont appreciate them. I am learning that every little thing I buy with my own money or recieve as a gift from loved ones I need to take the time and really think about how lucky I am for every little thing in my life... inculding the people I take for granted.
God is the only one thing that can truly bring satisfaction and joy in this corrupted world the enemy has blinded us from in almost every way possible. I am sorry I had to go to a different country to actually find true joy and what it really is God longs for us to have each minute of every day.
...but now that I have found it I will never lose sight of it again. I am going to fight for the joy God has so freely given to me, and I am not going to let the enemy take it away from me ever again. God is my strength and my shield... of whom shall I fear?

No comments: